Saturday, January 7, 2012

Authors for Girls

Recently, as in yesterday, I was at one of my favorite local resale shops and ran into a friend of mine.  This resale shop has a great children's book section that is neatly organized and full of great finds.  I was looking through the books and my friend asked me how I know what I am looking for at a place like this resale shop.  I told her I just know what authors I like or have heard of before and I usually stick with that.  Sometimes, I'll venture out and buy a book that just looks good.  I know you aren't supposed to judge a book by it's cover, but by doing so, I have found some good ones.  On the other hand, I have found some not so good ones!! :)

Her question caused me to think about posting a list of authors I look for while I am out at a resale shop, antique store, or used book store.  I rarely pay full price for my books. It has to be one I REALLY want!  So, here is a list of authors you may want to keep in mind while out at your local resale shops, etc.

Louisa May Alcott
L.M. Montgomery
Kate Seredy  (if you find her books, DO NOT pass them up! They are collectors!)
Carolyn Haywood
E. Nesbit
Frances Hodgson Burnett
Beverly Cleary
Laura Ingalls Wilder
Lois Leppard
Elizabeth George Speare
Scott O'Dell
Jan Brett (Picture books)
Eleanor Estes (especially The Hundred Dresses, which I see often in the resale shops and have a hard time passing it up even though I already have two copies!)
Betty MacDonald (wrote the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle series, which I also often see in resale shops)
Jean Fritz  (The Cabin Faced West)

These are just a few, but I thought it might be helpful to those of you who may not know many children's authors by name.  So many of us shop at the resale shops and I have found books I collect at these stores for $.50 - $1.00.  I get so excited!!  In my next post, I will list authors for boys.  Some of these authors have books that would be suitable for boys as well.  Happy Reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment