Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Summer Reading List for Girls 6th- 12th

This is the list I have been dying to get to! There are so many books on this list that just make me so excited and giddy to share with you!!  I know! I know! I'm weird! :)  I just get so excited and can feel the blood pressure rising when I talk about so many of these books.  I stopped it at 12th grade, but again I don't really like the labeling.  Any college girl to adult woman would enjoy reading all of these books. They are fantastic!

If you look up books for young teen girls, you get all kinds of books dealing with issues from dating and sex to divorce and leaving home.  I don't understand at all why our young girls need to read about these issues.  They know they are there.  Many of them are living it.  Why should they have to read about it too? If we want our girls to stay pure, why would we allow them to read the romance novels of today?  A good book should be a refuge from the stresses of life, not enhance them.  These books are wholesome, innocent, and just plain fantastic! You won't find any witches, sexual talk, drugs, vampires, or any of the "garbage" of today's world.  These books will make you feel good after you read them, not more depressed about the awfulness that can sometimes invade our every day lives!

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Pat of Silver Bush by L.M. Montgomery
Mistress Pat by L.M. Montgomery (Don't tell my mom or sister, but I like the Pat books better than the Anne books! Gasp!! ;)
The Chestry Oak by Kate Seredy  This is a MUST read.  If you can get your hands on this book, you have to!!  It is out of print and quite costly on line, but if you find it somewhere or your public library, like mine does, has it in their circulation, you must read it!!
Not My Will by Francena Arnold  (Again, a must read for every high school girl!)
The Light In My Window by Francena Arnold
Evidence Not Seen by Darlene Diebler Rose  (I think you will have to go online for this one, but it's only around $7.  It's an amazing story of a missionary lady and her husband during WWII)
Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt
The Velvet Room by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Mother Carey's Chickens by Kate Douglass Wiggin
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglass Wiggin
Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter (I can hardly type this title without smiling! It's so good!)
Heidi  by Johanna Spyri
Promises in the Attic by Elisabeth Hamilton Friermood  (This author takes little known historical events in the Midwest and writes about them in a fictional setting based on true facts.  They are all excellent!)
Carney's House Party  by Maud Hart Lovelace
The Railway Children by E. Nesbit
The Witch of Blackbird Pond  by Elizabeth George Speare  (NOT witchcraft. It is set during the Salem Witch Trial era of our country.)
Calico Bush by Rachel Field
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

I'm sure I'm leaving out some and that worries me. It really does, that's how crazy I am about reading! :)  If and when I think of others, I will post them as well.  I have not included the Janette Oke books.  To me they are ok, they aren't my favorite. I know the teen and college age girls may enjoy them because they are pretty decent romance novels.  I've read most of them and I guess if I had to recommend one it would be The Gown of Spanish Lace.  I love the twist at the end of that book.  Other than that, I can take or leave them.
Happy Reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment