Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Dr. Jim Trelease

During my four years of working as a school librarian, I had the amazing opportunity to hear Dr. Jim Trelease give one of his lectures on reading and children.  I did not know much about him at the time, only what my mom had told me, but as I listened to him speak, I quickly realized that this man knew what he was talking about. 

Dr. Jim Trelease has spent his life studying the affects of reading to children, children's authors and their books, and the influence a reading parent has on their child.  I HIGHLY recommend that every mother reads his books.  He has one titled, "The Read Aloud Handbook," which teaches why it is important to read to a child from a very early age and even how to do it.  It is an amazing book!!

He has another book titled, "Hey, Listen to This....Stories to Read Aloud."  This book goes author by author and highlights the author as well as one or more of their books.  It has an excerpt from each book so you can get the feel of the story.  Excellent book for those who may not be real familiar with children's literature. 

I am starting my blog off by introducing you to Dr. Jim Trelease because much of my material I learned from him.  As I sat in his lecture for an entire day, I was literally brought to tears with the passion he portrayed for reading and for children learning to love reading.  It is an experience I will never forget.  He no longer travels to lecture, but you can still get his teaching and philosophy through his writing. I am including a link to his home page.  Take the time to check it out!! There is tons of helpful information on his site and opportunities to order his materials. 

I found a real gem when I found Dr. Trelease's works.  I hope you will be inspired by it as passionately as I was inspired!!

www.trelease-on-reading.com

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you that you started your blog!! I'm excited to read all that you learn about reading! :)
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bro. Schaap says a leader's job is to network people. When we find someone who has a need, we find the people who have the answers and get them connected. That's what you are doing. I love it. Jim Trelease is one of my all time heroes! There's no way of knowing what an impact he has had. When we teach others something we have learned we don't always tell them where we got the information. I wonder how many people have been impacted by this man's life's work and they don't even know it!

    ReplyDelete