Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Importance of Reading Aloud

Some of my very favorite memories of being at home while growing up are those of the whole family gathering down stairs in the family room around my mother's rocking chair and listening to her read to us from books such as: Mr. Popper's Penguins, Mandy, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, The Wolves of Wiloughby Chase, Calico Captive, Lone Hunter, and many many more exciting books.  Even my dad would sit down there with us and listen just as intently as we three girls would.  How I loved those cozy evenings!! No wonder I enjoy reading and have such a strong passion for it.  My mother was instilling it in me through reading aloud.

Reading aloud should begin at a very early age.  Studies prove that around eight months of age, infants begin storing words they hear over and over.  They don't use them yet, but their little brains are storing them for future use.  So, of course, the more words they hear over and over, the more words they have to use in the future.  The earlier a child is read to, the earlier they will begin to develop a vocabulary and they will learn to sit and listen.

In my next few blog posts, I am going to share with you how to read to different age levels, what to read to different age levels, and what is the normal response from each of these age levels.  There is NO wrong way to read to a child.  Any type of reading aloud to a child is beneficial in some way. However, there are ways that can make it more enjoyable for you and for the child.  That's the key to reading aloud, making it enjoyable.  If a child does not associate reading with fun from an early age, they won't develop a love for it.

Why can I get so excited over a good book? Why can I feel disappointed when the good book I am reading ends?  Why can I hardly wait to get done with my work so I can read?  Because I had a mother that from an early age made sure I would enjoy reading by taking the time to read aloud to me.

So, until my next post, put your infant, toddler, or child in your lap or snuggle up on the couch and start reading aloud to them.  You will enjoy it and so will they!!  Happy Reading!!

2 comments:

  1. I remember those evenings with great satisfaction and fondness. I was glad I realized that no one book had to fit each age level entirely. A mid range book allows each child to gather something, and reading aloud allows you to stop and explain something to younger listeners. I remember the night I was reading LONE HUNTER, and Lacey sighed loudly after the rattle snake slithered off. "Her dramatic reaction of "Oh, that scared me to death," proved she was gaining enough of the material to respond even though the book would have been recommended for older readers. If I could relive some moments of those days when you were all young it would include the times of reading to you...especially when dad would come hurrying down the stairs with his snack and call for us to wait for him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! I was lucky to have a mom and dad who gave me the gift of reading. I had two huge bookshelfs in my room that were almost the length of my wall. I could tell you exactly where any book was. Reading is an amazing gift you can give to a child!! I have been amazed at the books I have chosen to read to my kids that are above their age level but they will sit still & soak it all up! When I say, "Lets go read some books, they squeal with delight & say woohoo!! :) Allison

    ReplyDelete