Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Chestry Oak by Kate Seredy

As an avid reader and great lover of children’s literature, I have read many books I consider to be great books.  However, every once in awhile, I will come across a book about which I cannot stop talking and I feel everyone should read.  Such is the case with The Chestry Oak.  My good friend, Mrs. Linda Stubblefield, and I often swap books.  Recently she gave me this book to read and I will forever be grateful to her for introducing me to such a wonderful piece of children’s literature.  The Chestry Oak, written by Kate Seredy, is the story of a young Hungarian prince, Michael, of the Chestry family during World War II. 
Every prince in the Chestry family, on his seventh birthday, plants an acorn from the great Chestry Oak that has stood in Chestry valley for as long as anyone can remember.   While out for a ride on his horse, Michael finds himself sitting under the Chestry Oak remembering the story of the great tree that had been told to him since he was old enough to understand.   While there, an acorn with two leaves attached to it drops in his lap.  Because of the war and frequent bomb raids, he places it in a special pouch that he wears around his neck in case something should ever happen to the Chestry Oak.  Nana, his beloved nurse, tells him the leaves may symbolize wings meaning he may have to plant his acorn somewhere other than Chestry Valley.
The rest of this masterpiece tells the incredible story of the journey Michael and his acorn, from his beloved Chestry Oak, are sent on due to the danger and devastation in Chestry Valley during World War II.  This book will keep you spell bound until the very end leaving you wishing it did not have to end!  This is a must read for everyone, parent and child alike.   Age 10+  Needs no proofreading

As a parent, if you are not excited about books then your children will not be either.  I do not have the tremendous love for Children’s literature that I do just by chance.  It is because I had a mother that was constantly searching for books she could encourage her daughters to read.  In order to get us excited about a certain book, she read many books and became excited first about the books she had read.   She read many, many books to us as a family.  It was very common place to see my mother reading a book.  She turned our entire family onto reading and we are all avid readers to this day.  My sisters and I are constantly calling one another to share the latest book we just read.   All of that is because I had a mother who thought it important enough to get excited about a book in order to teach her children to love reading.
Your children learn by example.  They will do what you do, not only what you say.  If they never see you engrossed in a book you just can’t put down, they will never experience that thrill for themselves.  If you have never experienced the thrill of a book you just cannot stop reading, try The Chestry Oak.  I promise you won’t be able to put it down.


1 comment:

  1. The Chestry Oak is in my top five children's books. I still remember the first time I read this book- about half of it was read under the covers with a flashlight because I could not wait until the next day to find out what would happen to Michael. Kate Seredy has written several children's books, and they are all excellent. Many of them are set during WWII, and she has a unique way of showing how the war affected the daily lives of children around the world. Find her books and read them!

    ReplyDelete